Friday, December 3, 2010

This I Believe

Carpe Diem: seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the future. This is what I believe in. Every day of my life I take in every moment that comes to me because I don’t want to grow old saying “I wish I had done that.” Instead I want to say “I did that” and be proud of it.
There isn’t enough time in the world to plan every little thing out.  Too many people waste their time trying to be too organized and in the end things don’t go according to plan. I, on the other hand, do things as they come. I am the type to go around saying hi to random people in the city, taking any risk or challenge and living the moment. This comes up to one of my Carpe Diems; piercings. I don’t like needles and I’m not very fond of pain, but on October 7, 2007 I woke up, showered, headed to the jewelry store and got my first piercing, I was 15 years old. After getting this done I said to myself “I won’t get another piercing,” little did I know that two years later I would get another one. On January 18, 2010, I got my next piercing; the snake eyes, I was 17 years old. I remember spending most of the day at work. When I finally got out I called up one of my girls, Gabby, and told her to get a piercing with me; she did just that. Yes, I was nervous and my blood was pumping, but in the end it was done without a second thought. Finally, on October 16, 2010 I was visiting co-workers from my old job, as I was leaving I called up my friend again and told her I was off to get another piercing, I was 18 years old. Sure the pain was unbearable and blood would gush out of them but in the end I was happy with what I had done.  All three  times I didn’t think about what anyone would think about me or how it would affect me in the future, I did them because I wanted to.
Yes, I’ve done other things like mountain repelling, rifle shooting, and river rafting- without any lessons, having any experience with a rifle or knowing how to swim- but I never let anything stop me from getting it done. They were always things I went out and did without thinking about the consequences; acting more, thinking less. The piercings were just one example and something you can see when you look at me. I lived those moments. I haven’t done it all but I want to be able to say “I did enough.”

1 comment:

  1. Naomi,

    I can feel your independence and I think that a lot of people have their independence. These moments that you experienced are memorable you even have the dates! It shows how strong you are as a person. I find it accessible because people need to find their independence and their pride just in case they do not have it. I found my independence through family struggles and everyone seems to grow at some point in life. I found this effective because I can see your true colors in a great way.

    ReplyDelete